The Second Phase of project BalticGrid (BalticGrid-II
) has started on 1 May 2008 and ended on 30 April 2010. The project aimed to increase the impact, adoption and reach, and to further improve the support of services and users of the e-Infrastructure in the Baltic States. The Project goals were achieved and development of the Grid infrastructure in Latvia continues within the framework of EGI-InSPIRE project.
IMCS UL again was responsible for the Network Resources provisioning activity - SA2. Overview about this activity is available in Katrina Sataki's presentation
from the BGII Kick-off meeting, which took place on 13-15 May in Vilnius, Lithuania.
The overall strategy
of SA2 is to ensure reliable network connectivity for Grid infrastructure in the Baltic countries and Belarus, as well as to ensure optimal network performance for large file transfers and interactive traffic associated with Grid.
The main objectives
of this activity were to:
- coordinate network services in all partnering countries, monitor network performance and its adherence to the concluded Service Level Agreements (SLA) concluded between BalticGrid-II and NRENs;
- improve network provisioning by improving network performance for applications that require transfer of large data volumes;
- provide efficient handling of security incidents in close cooperation with SA1;
- coordinate the work of SA2 with other projects, e.g. GEANT, EGEE, research institutions, e.g., Fermilab, and industry.
- Expanding BalticGrid infrastructure to new partners
- Establishing and operation of CNCC, NNCCs, and BG-IRTs
- Policy development
- Network monitoring and cooperation with other projects
- Deployment of high-speed TCP and scalable TCP